Thursday, September 24, 2009

Still VS Video - The Blurring Line

Some amazing things have been happening in the digital photography world. Still cameras have been endowed with the ability to shoot high definition video as well as still images. Leading the way in this phenomenon is the Canon 5D Mark II. I've seen some videos created by the camera and it's mind blowing what it is capable of creating! The HD video clips are captured at 1920 x 1080 resolution on compact flash cards.

In reason months I've seen the lines between still photography and videotaping blurring into one medium. Instead of avoiding this convergence of styles in photography I'm embracing it with much enthusiasm. The only difference is that as a still photographer I'm gravitating to understanding the video side of the spectrum. So, with the recent addition of video to our photographic services I'm pushing the envelop on my video equipment. That's how I came upon with the idea of photographing a portrait session by using my video camera as a digital SLR.

After reading the specifications on what size images my Sony HDR-FX7 video camera can capture to a memory stick, I scheduled a shoot with my makeup artist, Krystal Cordo. I was amazed at the quality of the results and wanted to share them with you. The neat part about this experiment is that the following images were taken while the tape was rolling. So, I ended up with both high-definition video and still images in one shoot and from the same camera lens and angle.


Because the video camera was set to high-definition,
all of the images are horizontal, wide-screen format.
Although it was a steamy day,
Krystal's makeup was impeccable.Surprisingly, all of the images were sharp as a tack.
To see a slideshow of all the images, click PLAY below:

No comments: