Monday, July 7, 2008

EDLs (Every day life)

When I attended Brooks Institute of Photography and was studying for my degree in professional portrait/illustration photography, once a month our instructor gave us an assignment titled EDLs. It was the only assignment that as students we could use any camera of our choice (we weren’t allowed to use 35mm film cameras our first year) and there was no restriction on the subject matter. It was a fun assignment and now that I look back on it, I realize that it was given so that we could relieve the stress of completing demanding class assignments.

Two months ago I realized that as a professional photographer I only picked up my camera when it was a working job. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love the jobs that I’m contracted to cover. However, for years now I’ve virtually ignored the simple fun of walking around and creating images from anything that crossed my path. That’s what EDLs are all about. So, I’ve decided to reinstate EDLs in my monthly routine and look forward to the surprise element of this type of assignment. This first set of images came from a stroll along Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale. Enjoy!

This street light was on, but I wanted to accent
it against a dark sky.
So, I used high speed sync
on my 550 Canon flash and exposed for the light.
This homeless guy claimed to be a professional
blues harmonica player,
but when he started playing...
Well, maybe that's where he got the
two black eyes from in the next picture.

Lovers' spat with tears and all. The Canon
200mm IS lens is great for this kind of stealth.
Shapes, colors, & designs will always catch
your eye when photographing EDLs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love these shots... you've got the eye!! Le'Rae